Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Happy Birthday, Ryan!

*** WARNING...THIS POST MAY CONTAIN SAPPY FEELINGS AND MEMORIES, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK***


Ryan celebrated birthday number 34 on Sunday! I wish I could say that I had planned a wonderful surprise party, or something equal, but the only surprise I had was that I cooked lunch ;) I had a brownie mix out to make for him, but after becoming overwhelmed by sickness, I had to lay down. I woke up to Ryan and the boys making his OWN Birthday Brownies (although I did add nuts and Reese's Peanut Butter chips to them), I felt so bad...but Ryan with his kind nature just said "it's okay I knew that you meant to make them" (you got to love this guy!) He had lots of family on both sides call and wish him a Happy Birthday, with several renditions of Happy Birthday sung to him (thanks guys for picking up the slack!) I guess next year we will have to do something FAN-TAB-U-LOUS together!

I was thinking about the great birthdays we have celebrated together, Ryan is lucky enough to have his birthday fall over spring break most years. We have traveled a lot on his birthday, to Washington DC and three trips to Disneyland. I then thought about the first birthday we spent together....

Turing 29 in Washington D.C. It was Freezing!
Turing 31 at the Happiest Place on Earth. What a cute family!

This week is also a special week, the week that we met at a FHE and the week of our first date! I can still feel the restlessness I had with the things in my life...I was ready to "put my boots on and start walking" right on out of St. George. I loved all my friends, my job and felt "comfortable", but I knew there was more and that I was NOT going to marry (or even date for that matter) any of the guys that I hung out with. Anyway, I went to my FHE activity that Monday Night ready to meet new people. I was always on the look out for the tall ones (I really liked to wear my heels and not be the tallest in the crowd), then I looked across the room and saw a TALL, Dark Handsome guy (HUMMM just my type). My friends Tammy and Betsy introduced us, WHY HADN'T I MET THIS GUY BEFORE!!!! We instantly hit it off and spent quite awhile talking and getting to know one another. He had just told me about the crazy year he had had ( his father passing away, and other things) and I said "OH, I just want to hug you!" (in more of a phrase of words, than an offer) and he got this sheepish grin on his face, shrugged and said "OKAY!" Later, he asked me for my number and when I started "6-3-2", he very enthusiastically said "OH your IN" (think Verizon 2004) Yep that was one smooth operator I had met ;) Anyway I was intrigued and had thought about him on my business trip the next day. Later that night, as I was sitting in my hotel room (Marriott Tuscon) my phone rang. It was Ryan, and he said the words that sealed the deal for me. "Hey, I know how lonely it is on the road and I just wanted to liven things up for you"...this guy got it, he knew that traveling alone on business WAS NOT glamorous or that is was not fun to eat alone and sit in the hotel room by yourself. We talked for hours (literally) about everything you could imagine. I think that my job that kept me traveling and us having long phone conversations, really helped us get to know each other better than the regular dinner and a movie dates. It was a great way to build a relationship! Anyway later that week, when I got home I called him to hang out with me and some of our friends. He said "I don't want to hang out with a group, lets go somewhere just us" (again SMOOTH) We ended up going to a local pool hall, although Ryan seemed distracted and neither one of us did very well. (I have since learned that he spent most of the night checking out my butt in my PORN STAR jeans as he called them...oh to have THAT body back!) Anyway, we spent the rest of the evening sitting on a couch in his garage (another first for me) and talking...although he did teach me "21" and I was killing him. He kept saying "okay if I win, you have to give me a kiss/hug", but too bad for him his plan backfired...he had to wait until the NEXT week for that, but that is another story.

Our first trip to Farmington to meet my family on Mother's Day

Lake Powell...what a great trip!

So this week is special for me because it is the week that my Ryan was born, and the week that my Prince Charming came into my life and my love for him was born. And look at where we are now!!!!

LOVE YOU,HONEY! Thanks for everything!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's so sappy and so wonderful to read...I did have tears in my eyes. I can't believe how much has happened and how wonderful it all is. I am so grateful for the Lord's hand in your lives and bringing you together, having these wonderful children, and being such a great family. I feel blessed being a part of your lives and family. Your family blesses my soul to the fullest.
Grandma Sylvia