I just had to show off Ryan and I, first DIY home improvement project...for those of you out of town. In June I decided I really wanted a pretty pink princess room for our baby girl. I knew that I wanted pink and brown, and had seen bead board on HGTV and thought it was really pretty. So the plan was set and my inner designer was working over time. By July, I was very anxious to get started and by the end of July I bought the paint and told Ryan I was going to start with or without him. He felt it was TOO HOT and that we had plenty of time before she came to get started, but after a few days of talks we began. (Thank goodness!) We chose a very light pink for the walls and a deep rich chocolate (named Fudge and lives up to its name...it makes me hungry every time I go in) for the bead board. We painted the walls pretty fast, just two evenings and then started the bead board. We thought we would paint the bead board before we put it up (thank goodness) and began painting it out in the garage. It was crazy hard to paint, but we finally triumph over it after many coats of paint (and blood,sweat and tears). Painting in the garage in 106+ degrees is not recommended for a 7 month pregnant mommy... but we did survive. We also took apart a "vintage" rocking chair we picked up at a garage sale and painted it pink and stenciled "PRINCESS" on it...I think it turned out pretty well. I think I am most proud of the window box that I painted, with the help of the green "FROG" paint tape I was able to get perfect lines. I thinks it turned out pretty well, what do you think? Thank goodness for the "Frog" tape, it really made things easier and we would definitely recommend it. Notice the project was just one room but it over took our whole house, and garage!

After much debate, Ryan and I decided that we didn't have the tools or experience to do the install. We really didn't want to mess up the bead board and have to paint more ;) Our great friend in the ward and one of his friends (who does construction) came over one evening and helped Ryan put up the bead board...they did it in a few hours! AMAZING, thanks guys!!!

The finished project...I LOVE IT ! I re-purposed a few shelves from the boys nursery and found a old board and put new hardware on it to hang Taleah's blessing dress. I really love the saying "PRINCESS... daughter of a Heavenly King" and had to have it on her wall. It helps us remember the kind of princess we all want to be, think step sisters vs Cinderella. I found all the decor online and think everything really went together well.

The second day home, we let Taleah explore her new room. The boys were so excited to show her everything. I think she has some growing before she will fit her new dress, I'm sure glad we bought the NB size and not something bigger! She is so tiny she fits in the little hanging hamper, just like a toy :)

Taleah enjoying her new throne. What a cutie!

I didn't know why I felt so driven to complete this project so early,we had finished Parker's room the month before he was due. Thanks goodness we had it done, before Taleah's early arrival...I would hate to be living in a house of construction or trying to paint right now between feedings:)
2 comments:
I love it! It looks like something out of a magazine. Good work you guys. I might steal some ideas for Claire's room, I love the blessing dress display.
Gorgeous! I'm very impressed with your handiwork. The blessing dress is so pretty. I'm sure she'll grow into it in no time.
Post a Comment