Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 2 - Exploring Virginia


On the second day of our trip, we were able to see some of the amazing beauty that Virginia has to offer. First we were able to visit the Great Falls with the Daniels, before they had to meet with the realtor and get the keys to their new house (they are amazing !) :) The very short drive was amazing, it was so green ! (This coming from a St. George girl, who is used to RED) The scenery looked like a scene from "The Last of the Mohicans"! During our walk, I was sure that I could see Indian watching us from behind the trees. I guess we didn't look to threatening, because we were not attacked and we all left with our scalps.

The Great Falls are made of HUGE boulders (maybe I should say small mountains) jutting out of the Potomac River. It was amazing to see the power of this river and the waterfalls, and yes the bright colored spots in the picture are Kayakers!!!! I must be a special breed that would willingly put a boat in the river and go OVER waterfalls and through rocks. I hope that my boys did not notice them...I don't every want them to try that.

Then we went over to the Canals, a system of Canals that George Washington had built to unite Virginia and Maryland. It was amazing, they were still holding strong 200 years later. The boys loved playing and running through the canals and playing George Washington and Soldiers as they climbed in the Guard Lookouts!
One cute story, Ryan and I were walking back to the Visitor Center. I looked back to make sure our little soldiers were following, when I saw them kneeling and heard Parker say "In the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen"...then they stood up and began to hunt Indians. I asked if they were praying and Parker said " Of course, we are going off to battle" I guess that the painting of George Washington praying at Valley Forge made an impression on Parker.
Then we drove down to Charlottesville, to visit Christian and Stephanie. They live on campus in a cute little apartment, with the most amazing "backyard" It had a stream, tons of trees and a fun playground. The boys were so excited to play Football with Christian, and they quickly enticed Daddy and Christian into a game of Pirates on the Playground.
When we got there, the boys asked where the toys are. Being a cute young newlywed couple, I doubted there were toys for the boys to play with. Stephanie was quick on her feet finding several fun things that were turned into toys, and then she hit the jackpot. She found the swords from their Halloween costume last year and tied a "belt" for the boys to hang them on. (out of very pretty - I mean handsome ribbon) The boys spent the day, with their swords strapped on them exploring the University of Virginia and protecting those in need.
Christian took us over to the campus grounds after dinner. We got to see the new Medical Teaching Facility, were Christian will be spending the next few years of his life. The walk on campus was fun and beautiful, but VERY VERY VERY hot and muggy! We were able to see the original buildings that Thomas Jefferson designed, which was cool. On the main building, there was a sign with the names of the Alumni that were killed in the Civil War, WW I, WW II, Korean and Vietnam. Surprisingly the Civil War was the biggest.




Thanks Daniels and Francoms for the great day of exploration!

Click to play this Smilebox photo album
Create your own photo album - Powered by Smilebox
Photo album made with Smilebox

No comments: